dbt is a data transformation tool where data analysts and engineers can transform, test, and document data in the data warehouse. Transform’s integration with dbt Cloud gives you the power to define Transform data sources using dbt models or automagically convert your dbt metrics into Transform metrics. Transform then surfaces useful metadata from your dbt models—like the time of the last successful run—and links to model documentation directly in the Transform App.
- You have an active dbt Cloud account
- You have an active Transform account
- You have defined metrics within either Transform or dbt
- Navigate to the Integrations page that can be found by clicking the settings gear icon in the Transform app. Click "Get Started" on the dbt integration card.
- Select the dbt Cloud option.
- Fill out the following connection information:
- dbt Service Token — You'll need to login to your dbt Cloud account to create a service token. Then, copy-paste your service token back into the input field in Transform and click "Add Token". You can always update and delete your service token.
- dbt Cloud Projects — Once you've added your service token, you should see a list of available projects from your dbt Cloud account. Choose the project you wish to connect.
- dbt Jobs — Now select the particular dbt job you wish to connect.
- Metric Type — Choose which metrics you want the integration to read from. Selecting Transform will use your Transform-defined metrics and selecting dbt will sync your dbt-defined metrics to Transform.
If you have already defined Transform metrics with a dbt model as a data source and you select "dbt", then our dbt-Transform model syncer will promote your dbt translated models to become the current Transform models and overwrite your original ones. If you do not desire this behavior, you can always re-commit your original Transform models.
- Once you've completed your connection information, click "Connect". You should now be connected to the dbt Cloud integration!
dbt Model Source Freshness and Lineage
You can view useful information about dbt model source freshness and dbt lineage documentation on Transform metric pages. The experience to view dbt source freshness and lineage documentation is the same as our past dbt integration (see Viewing dbt source freshness in the Transform App and Viewing dbt lineage docs in the Transform App).
dbt Metric Labels
If you selected dbt as the Metric Type in step 3 of the Setup Instructions, then we automatically transfer your dbt metric label to become the Transform metric display name.
If you selected dbt as the Metric Type in step 3 of the Setup Instructions, then we automatically transfer all dbt metric tags for that model to become Transform tags for that metric.